Thread: Is there an Ubuntu version of Windows' "Create System Image" feature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is there an Ubuntu version of Windows' "Create System Image" feature?

I'd like to create a complete backup of my Raspberry Pi 4's Ubuntu SD card installation while Ubuntu is running.

I've seen a few solutions online, but they seem to require using live media, unmounting the disk/partition to be backed up, or putting the SD card in another machine.

Windows has the ability to create a backup image while Windows is running, I'd like to do that with Ubuntu as well, if it's possible.
    "Life's too short to use slow computers"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is there an Ubuntu version of Windows' "Create System Image" feature?

There is Timeshift, a gui tool which uses rsync under the hood. I have never used Timeshift but I have used rsync, but not for backing up system files. TS is advertised for taking snapshots of system files, but I have no experience using it as a backup tool.

On ext4, I like to use LVM which has a snapshot feature. Then I like to use riff-backup to backup the portions of the snaphot that I would need if I were to restore, that would be /home & just a few other system directories. LVM snapshots can be taken on a running system. This type of plan though means that if something goes bad, I am prepared to do a fresh install and then go into my backups to get custom files, scripts, & /home data.

EDIT: on second look, I see you are on a Pi4. Timeshift may or may not be an option on that, others here may know more…
    Last edited by aljames2; April 8th, 2024 at 04:37 AM.

Beans

Re: Is there an Ubuntu version of Windows' "Create System Image" feature?

Hmm, you cannot copy a running system (unless you use a special file system with snapshot features).

For an RPi, it is best and easiest to copy the SD card on another machine.