Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win98 and Ubuntu Trial Disk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Win98 and Ubuntu Trial Disk

there is no data on graphics card. however this computer CAN handle Ubuntu (at least 10.04 LTS version) - only it will be kind of slow when opening the applications, but otherwise just fine. It also depends on programmes you will be running. basic system will use about 120-130 MB RAM. you will need to adjust some settings to get it low like that.

I suggest you give Lubuntu 11.04 a try. There is no need for minimal ISO. Graphical install should work just fine. you shoudl also be able to try it without installing by booting from CD. Lubuntu needs about 90-110 MB ram to run the OS the rest you can fill with some light weight applications.

what i am worried here is your graphics card. if you have one of those early intel chips then you migth be dissaointed as the support for them in linux is not as good.

since you don't have any boot key menu you need to go to BIOS setup and change the boot order there so that computer first check the CD (boots from CD) and then if it doesn't find anything in there it goes to hard disk.

good luck. and if you can get some second hand RAM sick that fits in you maschine (maybe for free) and if computer nmotherboard can take it you could upgrade to 512 MB and it will all be a lot more faster.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

Try Slackware......it will run on that. A steeper learning curve than Ubuntu.
    Slackware Overview
    Slackware Linux is a complete 32-bit multitasking "UNIX-like" system. It's currently based around the 2.6 Linux kernel series and the GNU C Library version 2.7 (libc6). It contains an easy to use installation program, extensive online documentation, and a menu-driven package system. A full installation gives you the X Window System, C/C++ development environments, Perl, networking utilities, a mail server, a news server, a web server, an ftp server, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, Mozilla Firefox, plus many more programs. Slackware Linux can run on 486 systems all the way up to the latest x86 machines (but uses -mcpu=i686 optimization for best performance on i686-class machines like the P3, P4, Duron/Athlon, and the latest multi-core x86 CPUs).
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by L a r r y View Post
    Like your signature!
    thanks!
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12