Thread: Mouse input and resolution issues on gaming with X11 fractional scale enabled

Beans

Question Mouse input and resolution issues on gaming with X11 fractional scale enabled

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 23.10 now. I have 2 4K monitors that one of them is 27 inch (Main display) and another one is 23 inch. So I enable x11 fractional scale and set 175% and 200% for 27 inch and 23 inch display.

I install some games from Steam (Civilization VI and City:Skylines) and Heroic Game Launcher (CONTROL) with Proton installed.

CONTROL (yeah, the name of game) feels great with a tiny issue that resolution system reported is larger than my physics resolution (Given is 4434x2468), and I can turn it to 3880x2160(4k) without any issue on full-screen mode. No-border mode force to render at 4434x2468.

But Civilization and Skyline is bad, they offers me 3880x2160 (4k) as the biggest resolution. So here has 2 behaviours:

- If I choose to use that resolution on full-screen mode all UI elements looks as normal, but I can't click on them in their visual position. The way to click on UI is to offset cursor a liitle bit from it's visual position.
    - If I choose to use taht resolution on window mode, window is smaller than my monitor, but everything runs ok.

I known that fractional scale on x11 is rendering screen in a higher resolution (render_resolution = monitor_resolution x 2 / fraction_scale_factor) and downscale into target resolution, but I still not figure out what's goingon. So if someone met same situation like me? How do you fix it?
    Last edited by cardidi; December 27th, 2023 at 05:24 PM.