Thread: Problem with Blender 4.1 - program hangs up frequently

Beans

Problem with Blender 4.1 - program hangs up frequently

Hy,

I run Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS on a PC an with Intel® Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4 and a Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) / AMD® Redwood.

Many times when I use Blender, the program suddenly hangs up and I can't do anything anymore. When I launch the System Monitor I see, that one of the four processor cores runs at 100%, all the other three are running low. I can't do anything but stall the application and start it again.

It doesn't really depend on how big the Blender file is, it happens quite randomly, as I see it.

Can anybody help, what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Michael

Beans

Re: Problem with Blender 4.1 - program hangs up frequently

I'm having the same problem - hangs almost immediately with one core at 100% when I load a scene, never recovers. i3-8130U CPU x 4 and Intel UHD graphics 620 so maybe a graphics driver issue?
    I have dual boot on here and can confirm that blender 4.1 works fine under Windows on the same laptop without the same issue.

Beans

Same for me, hangs almost immediately on my laptop Lenovo Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS with 16 Go Ram. Blender 3.x was working fine.

Beans

Found the answer, I think, courtesy of this post: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1477...55b9748f66e1c0

First you change a driver parameter, then run blender with an environment variable set. needs to be done every boot so I put these two commands in a shell script:

$ echo 10000 | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/engine/rcs0/preempt_timeout_ms
    $ INTEL_DEBUG=reemit blender

Beans

Thank's ! It works great, I hope dev will incorpore this in a release...